In a bid to give the Somali people a full understanding of the roles and regulations of Somali National Olympic committee in terms of sports development and rehabilitation of the country’s destroyed facilities, the president of Somali Olympic committee Abdullehi Ahmed Tarabi, has on Monday issued a press statement which carries articles within the Constitution and Olympic charter declaring the regulations of NOC and the roles of our Ministry of Sports.
The Somali National Olympic committee presidential statement issued here in Mogadishu is as shown bellow.
Asalamu Alaykum Warahmatulahi Wa Barakaatuhu
I am writing today to clarify the roles and responsibilities of the Somali Olympic Committee in the development of the sports in the country. The roles and responsibilities of the Somali Olympic Committee are clearly written in both the SOC constitution as well as the Olympic charter.
There have been ambiguities in who is doing what in terms of the sports development of the country within the wider Somali sports family. I have witnessed that some of our sports family argue that they are expecting from the SOC sport development projects and programs that are not in the mandate of the SOC. So I am writing today to clarify this issue in order to promote understanding among the Somali sports family.
First I would like to highlight that SOC is NOT the highest sports body of the country. It is the Ministry of sports that is the highest body of sports in the country.
SOC roles according to the SOC constitution and Olympic charter are as follows;
01. To propagate the fundamental principles of Olympism by creating such institutions like, Diffusion of Olympism Programs, Physical Education programmes, school and university sport programmes, National Olympic Academy, Olympic Museum and teaching sports administration.
02. To promote the fundamental principles and values of Olympism in Somalia, in particular, in the fields of sport and education, by promoting Olympic education programmes in all levels of schools, sports and physical education institutions and universities, and encouraging the construction (if possible) of national sports Academy, Olympic museum.
03. Somalia NOC will ensure the. Observation of the Olympic Charter in Somalia and promote the high performance sport and sport for all.
04. To help in the training of sports administrations by organizing courses and ensure that such courses contribute to the propagation of the fundamental principles of Olympism.
05. To adopt and implement the world Anti-Doping Code, thereby ensuring that the Somalia NOC anti-doping policies and rules, membership and/or funding requirements and results management procedures conform with the World Anti Doping Code and respect all the roles and responsibilities for NOCs that are listed within the World Anti-Doping Code.
06. To take action against any form of discrimination and violence in sport.
07. The Somali NOC shall participate in the Games of Olympiad by sending athletes to represent Somalia at the Olympic games and at regional, continental or world multisport competitions patronized by the IOC.
08. The S. O. C. is obliged to participate in the games of the Olympiad by sending athletes in accordance with the I. O. C. Charter.
09. The S. O. C. constitutes, organize and lead its delegations at the Olympic games and at the regional, continental or world multi-sports competitions patronize by the I.O.C.
10. Have the exclusive power for the representation of its country at the Olympic games or regional, continental or world multi-sports competition patronized by the International Olympic Committee.
The national federations are also responsible for the development of their mandated sports discipline in Somalia with the same scope and areas of development as the Somali Olympic Committee.
These are the principle roles and responsibilities of the Somali Olympic Committee. I hope this clarification will create better understanding in what SOC stands for. I also hope that our extended sports family will expect us to deliver the above mandated areas in the development of the Somali sports.
Abdullahi A. Tarabi
President of Somali Olympic Committee